After three storms in a row, we were really feeling the need to get out and grab some fresh air. It’s half-term here this week, so making treats is always a great way to bribe the teens in our house to go for a walk!
I’ve made two really quick bars, one chewy (& vegan) the other crunchy and dipped in chocolate. Both are delicious and perfect for popping in a lunchbox to take on your travels.
Hope you like them and give the recipe a try. Kela x
Crunchy Peanut & Chocolate Bars
- 60g honey dry roasted peanuts, roughly chopped (unsalted)
- 60g rolled oats
- 20g Ovaltine powder
- 15 g dessicated coconut
- 50g bran flakes
- 50g corn flakes
- 150g condensed milk
- 45g honey
- 75g dark chocolate, chopped
- 75g milk chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a 20cm x 30cm baking tin with parchment.
- Combine the first 6 dry ingredients from the above list in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add the condensed milk and honey to the dry ingredients and mix together until well combined.
- Tip the mix into the prepared tin and smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Score the mix with a knife into the bar or square shapes you want.
- Bake for 12 minutes then remove the tin to a wire rack. Cut the bars along the scored lines then allow to cool while you melt the chocolate.
- Add chopped chocolates to a bowl and melt in a microwave or over a pot of simmering water.
- Dip the bottom of the bars into the chocolate then leave to cool on the wire rack. Drizzle tops with any melted chocolate left over.
Chewy Date, Banana, Pecan & Oat Bars
These vegan friendly bars are packed with healthy stuff but taste so delicious you can convince the kids they’re treats!
- 2 large ripe bananas (approx 200g weight)
- 100g medjool dates, pitted
- 100g pecans
- 100g rolled oats
- 50g dessicated coconut
- 1/4tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a 20cm square baking tin with parchment.
- Using a food processor, first blitz the dates until well chopped. Add all the other ingredients then pulse until well combined.
- Spread the mix in the prepared tin then bake for 25 mins until a nice golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the tin then cut into the desired size bars / squares.
- They can be wrapped individually in pieces of parchment tied with string or stored unwrapped in an airtight container for a few days.