Tray Bake Treats
(from top to bottom: Sticky Pecan Pie Slices, Lemon Curd Shortbread & Super Seeded Flapjacks)
Sticky Pecan Pie Slices
175g plain flour
130g soft light brown sugar
2 large free range eggs
50g pecan nuts, roughly chopped
175g golden syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line a shallow 23cm square baking tin with parchment.
2. Place 25g of the butter in a small saucepan and melt, then leave to cool slightly.
3. Put the flour, remaining butter and 40g of the sugar in a food processor and blitz until it resembles fine bread crumbs. Tip into prepared tin then press down firmly with the back of a spoon. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, beat the eggs lightly in a large bowl. Add the remaining sugar, pecans, melted butter, golden syrup and vanilla extract then stir until everything is well combined.
5. Remove the tin from oven and spread the mixture evenly over the shortbread base. Bake for a further 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and firm to touch.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack. When cold cut into slices.
Lemon Curd Shortbread
175g butter cut into squares
200g plain flour
85g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp vanilla extract
For lemon curd topping:
300g caster sugar
3 tbsp plain flour
4 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line a shallow 33cm x 23cm baking tin with parchment.
2. Make the shortbread base first by putting the butter, flour, icing sugar and vanilla extract in a food processor and blitz until it resembles fine bread crumbs. Tip into prepared tin then press down firmly with the back of a spoon or your hands.
3. Prick the base all over with a fork then bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
4. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs caster sugar, flour and lemon juice in a large bowl until frothy.
5. Remove the tin from oven and pour the lemon curd mixture evenly over the shortbread base. Bake for a further 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar and cut into squares.
Super Seeded Flapjacks
2 tablespoons golden syrup
175g soft brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
75g plain flour
375g rolled oats
75g sesame, pumpkin or sunflower seeds (or a mixture).
1. Preheat oven to 180c. Place butter, sugar, vanilla & syrup in a large saucepan and gently heat & stir until melted.
2. When melted, add in the oats, flour & seeds then combine well.
3. Spread mixture into a swiss roll tin, lined with baking parchment.
4. Bake in centre of oven until golden brown, approx 20-25 mins.
5. Cut into squares while still warm, then remove carefully to fully cool on wire rack.