Vintage Afternoon Tea at Dunowen
Back to News 18 February 2018 by Kela Hodgins
New Vintage Afternoon Tea Menu
We are delighted to introduce the latest addition to our Private Catering menu for guests staying with us at Dunowen House.
As a fan of savoury rather than sweet treats, I often find Afternoon Tea can be a little disappointing. For the last few weeks I have been putting together a selection that I think is a little more enticing than the norm – I hope you agree!!
My Mum is addicted to collecting vintage tea and dinner services, so I have manged to squirrel a few off her over the years. They really are beautiful and tea tastes so much nicer from a bone china cup – raised pinky fingers optional!!
Just let us know in advance of your stay if you would like us to cater an Afternoon Tea for you.
Smoked Salmon & Dill Muffins Recipe
I got such a great reaction to a recent post about our Afternoon Tea savouries, that I’m including the recipe for Smoked Salmon Mini-Muffins. A little salmon goes a long way in this recipe, so use the very best you can find. I hate oily, slippery Smoked Salmon and find the drier cures much more appetising. I use Ummera or Union Hall brands, local to us here in West Cork.
We are lucky to have our own hens in the walled garden and I love the deep yellow colour their yolks give the muffins, nearly like saffron has been added. I also use a silicon mini-muffin tray as I prefer bite-size treats but use small or regular muffin tins if you prefer.
6 tbsp sunflower oil
280g / 10oz plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
feashly ground black pepper
2 free range eggs
250ml / 9fl oz buttermilk
150g / 5.5 oz smoked salmon, finely chopped (plus extra for garnish)
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill (plus a few springs for garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius / 400 F / Gas Mark 6. Grease your muffin tins.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt & pepper into a large bowl.
3. Place eggs, buttermilk & oil together in a large jug or bowl & whisk until combined. Make well in centre of dry ingredients and add the milk/egg mixture, chopped smoked salmon and chopped dill. Stir gently to combine, do not over-mix.
4. Spoon mixture into trays & bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes for mini-muffins, 20 minutes for large muffins. They should be well risen, golden colour and firm to touch.
5. Leave to cool in tin for 5 mins then serve at room temp. When cool, add a little dollop of crème fraiche and sprig of dill or chive on top.